Nourish as Nature Intended
Our biologically appropriate philosophy is simple: mirror the quantity, freshness, and variety of meat that dogs and cats have evolved to eat.
The grey wolf (Canis lupus) is the ancestor and closest relative of all domestic dogs (Canis lupus familiarius), sharing 97% of their DNA, while the Near Eastern wildcat (Felis silvestris lybica) is the closest relative of domestic cats (Felis silvestris catus).
Despite years of breeding, the internal workings and anatomical capabilities of domestic dogs and cats remain the same as their wild cousins, so it’s no surprise their food requirements remain the same too.
The Eating Anatomy of Carnivores
JUST LIKE THEIR ANCESTORS, MODERN DOGS AND CATS HAVE ANATOMICAL FEATURES DESIGNED FOR A MEAT-BASED DIET – A FUNDAMENTAL FACT OFTEN OVERLOOKED. THESE INCLUDE:
- A wide mouth for swallowing chunks of meat whole, with a single-hinge jaw that lacks side-to-side chewing ability (unlike plant-eaters that chew extensively, meat-eaters seldom chew their foods).
- Sharp, pointed teeth for grasping and shredding meat (not for grinding plants).
- The saliva of plant-eaters contains the digestive enzyme amylase, which mixes with food through chewing. Since meat-eaters don’t chew, they are not adapted to digest carbohydrates from plants.
- Meat-eaters swallow chunks of meat whole; the purpose of their saliva is to lubricate the throat – not predigest food.
- In nature, carnivores seldom eat every day – sometimes as little as once a week. That’s why they have a large, single-chambered stomach suitable for gorging and digesting meat later.
- Because meat is easily digested (relative to plants), dogs and cats have a short, simple gastrointestinal tract (compared to plant-eaters like cows, who have four stomach chambers and eat constantly).
- Carnivores have a high concentration of stomach acid to break down meat quickly and kill bacteria associated with raw meat.
Our Five Biologically Appropriate Principles
- Rich in Meat & Protein
- Unmatched Fresh & Raw Meat Inclusions
- An Abundant Variety of Fresh Meat
- Wholeprey – Superfood for Dogs & Cats
- Fresh Vegetables & Fruit